The Foundational Research Institute (FRI) is looking to hire researchers to explore effective strategies for reducing suffering in the near and far future, especially in connection with the long-term risks from artificial intelligence. But we also consider applications for other kinds of work.
Why work at FRI?
- If hired, you will have the freedom to propose your own research projects within our top focus areas and to set your own work schedule.
- You’ll join a growing team of researchers and advisors and produce cutting-edge research on topics crucial to the reduction of suffering.
- There is no requirement on location: work can be done remotely and there is no or little travel required. Our current researchers are located in Basel, Switzerland; Albany, New York; Berlin, Germany; and Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Contributing to our internal discussions and brainstorming that help us set priorities.
- Producing public research in the forms of online material, book chapters, journal articles, or op-eds.
- A part of the position could also be activities such as giving talks and presenting at conferences.
- Language requirement is research proficiency in English.
- We anticipate that an applicant is dedicated to alleviating and preventing suffering, and considers it the top global priority.
- A successful applicant will probably have a background in quantitative topics such as game theory, decision theory, computer science, physics, or math. But we welcome applicants regardless of background.
- Peer-reviewed publications or a track record of completed comparable research output is not required, but a plus.
- There is no degree requirement, although a Ph.D. is an advantage, all else equal.
- We offer full- and part-time positions, internships and volunteer work.
- Compensation depends on your needs, skills, and experience.
A tip before applying is to read our Mission statement page, our Open Research Questions page and the most important essays, such as "Risks of Astronomical Future Suffering" in order to become familiar with our approach and ensure that you are a good fit.
Please keep in mind that we might need one to two weeks to process your application.
For questions about any type of work, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.