The Foundational Research Institute (FRI) is looking to hire researchers to explore effective strategies for reducing suffering in the long-term future, especially risks arising in the context of advanced artificial intelligence.
Why work at FRI?
- We are the only group with a research focus on reducing suffering in the long-term future. If that's your priority, you can find like-minded people at FRI.
- We believe in researcher autonomy. If hired, you will have the freedom to pursue your own research projects within our top focus areas and to set your own work schedule. We provide operational and logistical support to make sure you can focus your attention entirely on your research.
- You will get the chance to engage with top researchers from other organizations in the EA and AI safety community.
- You will join a growing team who are dedicated to the same altruistic mission. This makes for an inspiring atmosphere of dedication and collaboration.
What would you work on?
- Your main responsibility would be making progress on our research program. Which questions you would be tackling depends on your skills and motivation. We'd decide this in close coordination with you.
- As part of our team, you would also give feedback on the work of others and contribute to internal discussions.
- Depending on your skills and work, we might also expect you to give talks or host workshop sessions.
Are there any requirements?
- Research proficiency in English is required.
- We currently do not have a lot of mentorship capacity. As a result, we'd expect you to work very autonomously. In most cases, this will require prior research experience and a track record of completing research projects on your own.
- We expect you to be familiar with our work and research.
- There is no degree requirement, although a Ph.D. is an advantage, all else equal.
- We prefer researchers to be co-located. We are currently based in Berlin but might relocate to London, Oxford, or the Bay Area in 2020.
- To start your application, please complete our application form. We expect this to take around 2 to 3 hours once you are already familiar with our work. To complete your initial application, we will ask you to do a standardized test after submitting the form. This will take you another 45 minutes. Only then will we review your application.
- Within two weeks, we will decide whether to invite you for an interview.
- After the interview, we will ask you to write a more comprehensive research proposal. We will also reach out to any references.
- For the last stage, we will invite you for a trial.
We recommend to familiarize yourself with our mission and work before applying. If you have any questions about the process, please email us at email@example.com.
- The starting salary for full-time positions is between EUR 35,000 to EUR 55,000. In exceptional circumstances, we’d consider salaries up to EUR 70,000. We also support your professional development with funding and training. Other benefits include health care and dental coverage, generous paid vacation time, and flexible working hours.
- We are an equal-opportunity employer and we value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, age, physical attractiveness, marital status, or disability. We are happy to make any reasonable accommodations necessary to welcome all to our workplace. Please contact us to discuss adjustments to the application process: firstname.lastname@example.org.