We encourage others to consider helping with further research on the future of suffering and ways to reduce it. For ideas on topics we’d like to see explored, take a look at Open Research Questions. If you'd like to volunteer and/or collaborate with us, please fill out this form which will help us learn more about your interests and background in order to determine how we can best work together.
The rest of this page gives more detail about writing up research and other ways to help.
Research and publishing
If you’d like to research a topic, feel free to proceed on your own and publish it on your website, blog, etc., and then let us know about it if you think it would be of interest. If you’d like to host it on this site, contact us to see if that’s feasible. If you’re particularly ambitious, try submitting the article to a formal media outlet or academic journal. While this takes more effort, it also can bring a wider audience, garner more prestige, and put the ideas into “the real world” rather than confining them to a small circle of like-minded friends.
Let us know if you have questions or would like advice in the research. We could also potentially review drafts if we have time.
Adding to Wikipedia articles
Many topics on Wikipedia are sufficiently important that contributing just factual information to them may have very high value. Some of the Open Research Questions are best addressed by compiling existing information into relevant Wikipedia articles.
Brian Tomasik has a list of suggested Wikipedia “Pages to create or improve“, but it should only serve to jumpstart your creativity and is hardly exhaustive of the possibilities. Note that the value of Wikipedia contributions on technical AI issues is uncertain, because they can speed up risks alongside speeding up safety measures against risks.
Other ways to help
- Giving feedback on, proofreading, and/or fact-checking draft papers.
- Helping with management of FRI’s Google Grants AdWords campaigns.
- Translating essays on this site to other languages where such a translation does not already exist. Translating important Wikipedia articles about animal suffering can also have high impact.
- Recording episodes of our podcast based on essays on this site, other essays for which we have permission, recordings of lectures, interviews, etc.
- Sharing these writings on your blog, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Suggesting other ideas.